Wednesday, September 17, 2008

John Steinbeck Mini-Challenge for 2009


This mini-challenge, the John Steinbeck Mini-Challenge, is for the 2009 year. It will be from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2009.

The goal of the challenge is to read TWO books by John Steinbeck. (Audio books are welcome.) One movie can be substituted for one of the books if you prefer.

Here (shamelessly cut and pasted) is his bibliography:

Cup of Gold : a Life of Sir Henry Morgan, Buccaneer, with Occasional Reference to History. – New York : McBride, 1929
The Pastures of Heaven. – New York : Brewer, Warren & Putnam, 1932
To a God Unknown. – New York : Ballou, 1933
Tortilla Flat. – New York : Covici-Friede, 1935
In Dubious Battle. – New York : Covici-Friede, 1936
Of Mice and Men. – New York : Covici-Friede, 1937
Of Mice and Men : a Play in Three Acts. – New York : Covici- Friede, 1937
The Red Pony. – New York : Covici-Friede, 1937. – Enlarged edition, New York : Viking, 1945
Their Blood Is Strong. – San Francisco: Simon J. Lubin Society, 1938
The Long Valley. – New York : Viking, 1938
The Grapes of Wrath. – New York : Viking, 1939
Sea of Cortez : a Leisurely Journal of Travel and Research / by John Steinbeck and Edward F. Ricketts. – New York : Viking, 1941. – Republ. as The Log from the Sea of Cortez. – New York : Viking, 1951
The Forgotten Village. – New York : Viking, 1941
Bombs Away : the Story of a Bomber Team. – New York : Viking, 1942
The Moon Is Down. – New York : Viking, 1942
The Moon Is Down : a Play in Two Parts. – New York : Dramatists Play Service, 1942
Cannery Row. – New York : Viking, 1945
The Pearl. – New York : Viking, 1947
The Wayward Bus. – New York : Viking, 1947
A Russian Journal. – New York : Viking, 1948
Burning Bright : a Play in Story Form. – New York : Village Press, 1950
Burning Bright : a Play in Three Acts. – New York : Dramatists Play Service, 1951
East of Eden. – New York : Viking, 1952
Viva Zapata! - Rome: Edizioni Filmcritica, 1952
Sweet Thursday. – New York : Viking, 1954
The Short Reign of Pippin IV : a Fabrication. – New York : Viking, 1957
Once There Was a War. – New York : Viking, 1958
The Winter of Our Discontent. – New York : Viking, 1961
Speech Accepting the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature. – New York : Viking, 1962
Travels with Charley : In Search of America. – New York : Viking, 1962
America and Americans. – New York : Viking, 1966
Journal of a Novel : The East of Eden Letters. – New York : Viking, 1969
Steinbeck : a Life in Letters / Ed. by Elaine Steinbeck and Robert Wallsten. – New York : Viking, 1975
The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights : From the Winchester Manuscript and Other Sources / Ed. by Chase Horton. – New York : Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1976
Steinbeck and Covici : The Story of a Friendship / Thomas French, ed. – Middlebury, Vt. : P. S. Eriksson, 1979
The Uncollected Stories of John Steinbeck / edited by Kiyoshi Nakayama. – Tokyo: Nan'un-do, 1986
John Steinbeck on Writing / edited by Tetsumaro Hayashi. – Muncie, Ind.: Steinbeck Research Institute, 1988
Working Days : The Journals of The Grapes of Wrath, 1938-1941 / edited by Robert DeMott. – New York : Viking, 1989
America and Americans and Selected Nonfiction / Ed. by Susan Shillinglaw & Jackson J. Benson. – New York : Viking, 2002. – Publ. in England as Of Men and Their Making : the Selected Non-Fiction of John Steinbeck. – London : Allen Lane, 2002

I don't know which two I'll be reading yet. I chose Steinbeck because I've never (yes, never ever) read any of his books. And I feel that's a bit embarrassing since I hold not one but two degrees in literature.

If you want to join this challenge, please leave a comment and let me know!

Participants so far:
Bobbi's Book Nook
Katrina's Reads
Becky's Book Reviews
N. Vasillis (1130V)
Kylee
SueFitz
Diane
Janet
Marny
Kristi
Judy
Blondierocket
Cauchy81sk
Lulu
Gaabriel
Stina
Lindy
Kathrin

25 comments:

katrina said...

Sounds great, I think I'll be reading Canary Row and Grapes of Wrath.
How have you avoided Steinbeck? Wow, although I studied him at school rather than uni. Of Mice and Men is a must for anyone new to Steinbeck

N.Vasillis said...

I'm in! Right now I'm reading the Grapes of Wrath. I think I'm going to read The Winter of Our Discontent and something else.

~Kylee said...

Sing me up for this one too. And I promise not to reread Of Mice and Men. =)

SueFitz said...

This sounds like a great one and living near the land of Steinbeck it's even more fun.

Diane said...

Please sign me up. I have several Steinbeck books, I've been wanting to read. I plan to read: Winter of Our Discontent and The Wayward Bus (possibly another as well).

Janet said...

Count me in! I have already posted my choices on my blog. http://jottingsonapage.blogspot.com/ I will post reviews too.

Marny said...

I'm in :-) You can find my list here

Grilsgood said...

I have probably read 6 of his novels in my life, but not enough. Let me add a few more. Lindy

Gaabriel said...

I would love to join you in this!

Kristi said...

Hello,

Please sign me up for this challenge - it has been years since I have read any Steinbeck - my post and as-yet-to-be-decided booklist is here:
http://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2008/12/john-steinbeck-mini-challenge.html

Kathrin said...

Oh, I'm in! I'll probably read The Tortilla Flat and some other book, but maybe I'll even change that first on...
The reviews will be up at cozymurders.blogspot.com

Intergalactic Bookworm said...

Sign me up! I think that the only books I read by him is The Grapes of Wrath and the Red Pony.

Judy/Intergalactic Bookworm

http://intergalacticbookworm.blogspot.com

blondierocket said...

I'm planning to join in. Still deciding on what I'm going to read.

cauchy81sk said...

I'm in:
http://cauchy81sk.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/john-steinbeck-mini-challenge/

Stina said...

I just finished Of Mice and Men last night, so I might as well. http://strixaluco.vox.com/library/post/a-mini-challenge-steinbeck-in-2009.html

Lulu said...

I would like to particpate in this challenge. My post is here:

http://luluslibrary.blogspot.com/2009/01/john-steinbeck-mini-challenge.html

Thanks for hosting this for us!

SueFitz said...

Don't see my name on your list, but have signed up am reading one of them one now

Becky said...

Sue, I'm sorry. I haven't updated the list in a really, really, really long time. You are signed up and have been. It's nothing personal, I've just not done it.

Sharon said...

Hi again! I'd like to sign up for this one as well. My two choices are Tortilla Flats and Cannery Row. Thanks!

Architha said...

I've read East of Eden and i absolutely loved and want to read more. So i'm in :)

MissDaisyAnne---Annette said...

I am reading Grapes of Wrath now, would you please add me to the book challenge, thankyou.
Annette

Sharon said...

I read Tortilla Flat. My review is here:
http://abookwormsreviews.blogspot.com/2009/06/tortilla-flat-by-john-steinbeck.html

Sharon said...

I finished my second book for this Mini-Challenge. it was Cannery Row. the review is here:
http://abookwormsreviews.blogspot.com/2009/10/cannery-row-by-john-steinbeck.html

Sharon said...

I've enjoyed getting to read Steinbeck. Are you going to have this challenge again next year?

Grilsgood said...

I finished:

1. the Short Reign of Pippin IV
2. The Pearl
3. Travels with Charley